The best outdoor getaways are a wonderland of activities for kids. From hiking to camping, there are so many fun things to do with your family that will make lasting memories. However, it’s important to know what is safe and what isn’t when it comes to taking your children into nature. This article provides you with some of the safest places around the country where families can go and enjoy themselves without worrying about protecting their child from harm.
The Great Lakes in the Midwest
The Great Lakes are a great destination best outdoor getaways whether you’re traveling with kids or not, but they can offer some fun activities and attractions that will make your time there even better.
The Great Lakes are great for boating, fishing, and other water sports. You can also visit museums or go shopping in the cities on the lakeshore.
Getting there is easy just fly into Detroit (DTW), Chicago (ORD) or Cleveland (CLE) airports then rent a car to get around! Once you’re there, stop at one of these places:
- Put-In-Bay – Visit Ohio’s only island community where you can enjoy swimming in Lake Erie or visit historic Fort McArthur Museum with its exhibits about military history and artifacts from an earlier era. Then try some local food at Buckeye Bar & Grill before heading back home!
- Geneva On the Lake Resort & Spa – Located just east of Cleveland OH this 4-star hotel boasts outdoor pools with jets so that guests can swim even when it’s too cold outside during winter months; tennis courts; spa services available upon request and much more!
- Mount Desert Island in Maine
- Mount Desert Island is a beautiful place for families. There are many things to do, from hiking and biking to exploring the island’s history and enjoying its food scene.
- History buffs will love the island’s museums and historic sites, which include Bar Harbor’s town hall built in 1832, Acadia National Park headquarters built in 1917, Bass Harbor Head Light built in 1858 and many more!
- Nature lovers will enjoy exploring Acadia National Park with its hundreds of miles of trails that lead to some of Maine’s most stunning views. Hikers have access to all kinds of landscapes including forests, mountainsides, and seashores it’s easy to find something that feels perfectly suited to your tastes!
- Families looking for the best outdoor getaways adventure will love exploring this area on foot or by bike as there are plenty of trails throughout Mount Desert Island available year round (just be sure you check weather conditions before setting out).
Best Outdoor Gateways in Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park is a best outdoor getaways destination for families, and with good reason, there’s plenty to do. The park has hiking trails, swimming beaches, and even a few museums. It’s also home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country the rocky coastlines are second-to-none.
Of course, it’s not just about having fun this is an educational trip as well! Acadia offers plenty of opportunities for kids to learn about history and wildlife while they’re out exploring the park. And since it’s right on the coast of Maine (and near Canada if you’re feeling adventurous), there are plenty of opportunities to see whales or puffins along your travels through Acadia National Park!
Boston Harbour Islands
Boston Harbour Islands are located just off the coast of downtown Boston. There are many islands to choose from, ranging from accessible by ferry to only accessible by boat. Some of these islands have restaurants and shops, while others have beaches and hiking trails. If you’re looking for a more adventurous trip with your kids, some of the islands even offer camping facilities!
Yosemite National Park
Yosemite National Park is one of the most popular national parks in the US. It’s also home to some of the most beautiful scenery around, including spectacular waterfalls and tons of wildlife. For families looking for a good, safe place to take your kids that has plenty to do outside of hiking and playing in nature, Yosemite is a great option.
Yosemite has everything you could ask for when it comes to activities for kids. There are playgrounds throughout the park with lots of trees and shade if you need it. There are also many places where kids can play safely on their own without having any fear of getting lost or getting into trouble with other visitors who might be there too!
San Francisco Bay Area
- San Francisco Bay Area, California
- The Bay Area has some of the best beaches for families. In fact, three local beaches were recently named on the top 10 list of “best family-friendly” beaches by Coastal Living magazine.
- There are also a lot of museums and parks that provide fun activities for kids, such as hiking trails in Muir Woods National Monument (pictured above). If your kids are interested in science and nature, they’ll love exploring these places!
- Another thing you can do with your family is visit one of many best outdoor getaways activities like crabbing or kayaking – there’s something for everyone! And if you’re looking for a good meal after all that fun? You’ll find lots of kid-friendly restaurants in this area!
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Cape Cod is a peninsula in Massachusetts with many beaches, lighthouses, and wildlife sanctuaries. It’s a great place to spend the day if you want to make sure your kids get plenty of exercise while having fun at the same time.
There are also several historical sites including Fort Hill National Historic Site and the Pilgrim Monument that offer educational opportunities for your children.
Seattle is a great city for kids. There are plenty of things to do, including museums and children’s theatres. The weather is mild, so you can visit all year round.
Seattle is a safe city with a low crime rate. The average person in Seattle has 1 burglary per 1000 people each year and 0 murders per 100000 people each year. In addition to being safe, Seattle has excellent weather: the average high temperature in July is 80 degrees Fahrenheit (26 Celsius), while the average low temperature in January is 45 degrees Fahrenheit (-7 Celsius).
Austin is a great place to visit with kids, especially if you’re looking for the perfect balance between outdoor activities and indoor fun. The city boasts plenty of parks, museums and restaurants that cater to kids’ interests.
If you love spending time outdoors, Austin has lots of parks lining its rivers and lakes where you can enjoy picnics or take your kids on some nature walks. There are also many museums in the area such as Zilker Botanical Garden family botanical garden (where most of our favorite photo ops were captured), Bullock Texas State History Museum (for history buffs) and Austin Children’s Museum (for little ones). For those who prefer staying indoors over being outside all day long, there are plenty of options too! A few favorites include Barton Creek Mall which offers an array of shops including Apple store among others as well as Alamo Drafthouse Cinema where they serve up yummy food while watching movies on the big screen!
These are great places to visit with your family in mind.
- Family Friendly
- Outdoor Activities
- Safe For Kids
- Great For All Ages
- Good For Groups, Solo Travelers, and Couples as Well As Families with Young Children
We hope that you’ve found this list of the safest places to take your kids on vacation helpful and inspiring. If there’s a place you think should be on here but isn’t, please leave us a comment! There are so many wonderful destinations that we didn’t have room for all of them and we want to know what yours is. We also have an extensive list of family-friendly hotels available worldwide if you need it.